Leftover turkey, leftover chicken, leftover EVERYTHING works in this recipe, if you’re not too purist about the ingredients you use. I’m happy to hunt down obscure ingredients, but when my fridge is full of leftovers and salad scraps, this is one of my go-to recipes. What’s great is that you can literally stuff anything in, from shredded meat to salad and vegetables. We use shredded Sunday roast meat – chicken or pork – and any crunchy green veg we have to hand. Peppers, broccoli, avocado, spring onions, cucumber, red onion, cabbage, carrots….
These California Leftover Spring Rolls are the lovechild of all of my favorite Asian flavours, but they work, I promise! There a few specialist ingredients, but nothing you can’t get in a big supermarket. If you are struggling because you live in the middle of darkest nowhere like me, then try The Asian Cookshop. I use them all the time. The only thing you might have trouble getting hold of is the spring roll wrappers.
So, firstly, a few things to note. ie. stuff I got wrong the first time I made these.
- Don’t use boiling water to soften the wrappers. You’ll need to put your fingers in it.
- Don’t overfill your wrappers.
- Try to trim all of your filling to the same length
What really makes this recipe delicous is that it relies on two components working together. A slightly creamy filling, provided by the avocado and tiny amount of mayonnaise, and an acidic flavourful dipping sauce to cut through it. Also, feel free to play fast and loose with the ingredients. We use it to clear out our fridge. Got no spring onions? Use red onions. It really doesn’t matter. Like your dipping sauce sweeter? Stick in some sweet chilli sauce.
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE;
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teapsoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light (or any) soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 bulb garlic, crushed
- 1 small knob of ginger, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- water to taste
- FOR THE ROLLS;
- Spring roll wrappers
- Shredded vegatables (eg. carrot, spring onions, peppers, red onion. lettuce)
- Chopped fressh coriander to taste
- Shredded pale meat (optional but thing chicken, turkey, pork)
- Avocado, sliced into matchsticks
- For the dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and adjust to taste. It's really a trial and error thing. If you want more chilli, go for it!
- Fill a shallow container with hot (you can put your fingertips in it) water that is slightly bigger than your spring roll wrappers.
- Shred your meat (optional) in a bowl and add your shredded avocado. Add enough dipping sauce to moisten the meat & avocado mix.
- Combine your salad ingredients, chopped to the same lenght (approx one third of the width of your wrappers). Add enough mayonnaise (not too much) to bind the filling together loosely.
- Soak your wrapper in hot water. I like to rotate mind around until they have ALMOST lost their stiffness and then transfer them to a clean plate.
- Add the a teaspoon of vegetable filling to the centre (see gig below) and top with the shredded meat/avocado mix. Take care not to overload your wrapper.
- Begin rolling, fold in the sides and seal.
- Dip in the sauce and enjoy.